Happen Films (“Happen Films”) operates HappenFilms.com and may operate other websites. It is Happen Film’s policy to respect your privacy regarding any information we may collect while operating our websites.
All data subjects whose personal data is collected, in line with the requirements of the GDPR.
The Data Protection Officer (DPO) is responsible for ensuring that this notice is made available to data subjects prior to Happen Films collecting/processing their personal data.
All employees of Happen Films who interact with data subjects are responsible for ensuring that this notice is drawn to the data subject’s attention and their consent to the processing of their data is secured.
3. Privacy notice
1. Who are we?
Happen Films is a documentary production company based in Australia. We make short and feature-length films about sustainable living.
Our Data Protection Officer (DPO) and data protection representatives can be contacted directly here:
We collect information about you during the checkout process on our store. This information may include, but is not limited to, your name, billing address, shipping address, email address, phone number, credit card/payment details and any other details that might be requested from you for the purpose of processing your orders.
Handling this data also allows us to:
– Send you important account/order/service information.
– Respond to your queries, refund requests, or complaints.
– Process payments and to prevent fraudulent transactions. We do this on the basis of our legitimate business interests.
– Set up and administer your account, provide technical and/or customer support, and to verify your identity.
Additionally we may also collect the following information:
– Location and traffic data (including IP address and browser type) if you place an order, or if we need to estimate taxes and shipping costs based on your location.
– Product pages visited and content viewed while your session is active.
– Your comments and product reviews if you choose to leave them on our website.
– Account email/password to allow you to access your account, if you have one.
– If you choose to create an account with us, your name, address, and email address, which will be used to populate the checkout for future orders.
The personal data we collect will be used for the following purposes:
– Processing and delivering film orders
– Responding to an email you’ve sent to us
– Sending newsletters
– Tracking referrals and paying you through the Affiliate Program
Our legal basis for processing for the personal data:
– Article 6(1)(a)
– Article 6(1)(b)
Any legitimate interests pursued by us, or third parties we use, are as follows:
– Selling and delivering Living the Change downloads to customers
– Promoting Living the Change through the Affiliate Program
– Delivering news to newsletter subscribers
By consenting to this privacy notice you are giving us permission to process your personal data specifically for the purposes identified. Consent is required for Happen Films to process both types of personal data, but it must be explicitly given. Where we are asking you for sensitive personal data we will always tell you why and how the information will be used.
You may withdraw consent at any time by contacting us at [email protected]
Happen Films will pass on your personal data to third parties without first obtaining your consent. The following third parties will receive your personal data for the following purposes of processing payments: PayPal.com.
4. Retention period
Happen Films will process personal data immediately and will store the personal data for two years.
5. Your rights as a data subject
At any point while we are in possession of or processing your personal data, you, the data subject, have the following rights:
– Right of access – you have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you.
– Right of rectification – you have a right to correct data that we hold about you that is inaccurate or incomplete.
– Right to be forgotten – in certain circumstances you can ask for the data we hold about you to be erased from our records.
– Right to restriction of processing – where certain conditions apply to have a right to restrict the processing.
– Right of portability – you have the right to have the data we hold about you transferred to another organisation.
– Right to object – you have the right to object to certain types of processing such as direct marketing.
– Right to object to automated processing, including profiling – you also have the right to be subject to the legal effects of automated processing or profiling.
– Right to judicial review: in the event that Happen Films refuses your request under rights of access, we will provide you with a reason as to why. You have the right to complain as outlined in clause 3.6 below.
All of the above requests will be forwarded on should there be a third party involved (as stated in 3.4 above) in the processing of your personal data.
In the event that you wish to make a complaint about how your personal data is being processed by Happen Films (or third parties as described in 3.4 above), or how your complaint has been handled, you have the right to lodge a complaint directly with Happen Films’s data protection representative (DPO).
7. Online privacy statement
Under the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) personal data is defined as:
“any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person”.
How we use your information
This privacy notice tells you how we, Happen Films, will collect and use your personal data for processing payments and providing the services of HappenFilms.com
Why does Happen Films need to collect and store personal data?
In order for us to provide you with film downloads, allowing you to leave comments, signing up to the newsletter, or joining the Affiliate Program we need to collect personal data for completing orders and providing functionality to the website. In any event, we are committed to ensuring that the information we collect and use is appropriate for this purpose, and does not constitute an invasion of your privacy.
In terms of being contacted for marketing purposes Happen Films would contact you for additional consent.
Will Happen Films share my personal data with anyone else?
We may pass your personal data on to third-party service providers contracted to Happen Films in the course of dealing with you. Any third parties that we may share your data with are obliged to keep your details securely, and to use them only to process payments and deliver downloads and newsletters on our behalf. When they no longer need your data to fulfil this service, they will dispose of the details in line with Happen Films’s procedures. If we wish to pass your sensitive personal data onto a third party we will only do so once we have obtained your consent, unless we are legally required to do otherwise.
How will Happen Films use the personal data it collects about me?
Happen Films will process (collect, store and use) the information you provide in a manner compatible with the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). We will endeavour to keep your information accurate and up to date, and not keep it for longer than is necessary. Happen Films is required to retain information in accordance with the law, such as information needed for income tax and audit purposes. How long certain kinds of personal data should be kept may also be governed by specific business-sector requirements and agreed practices. Personal data may be held in addition to these periods depending on individual business needs.
Under what circumstances will Happen Films contact me?
Our aim is not to be intrusive, and we undertake not to ask irrelevant or unnecessary questions. Moreover, the information you provide will be subject to rigorous measures and procedures to minimise the risk of unauthorised access or disclosure.
Can I find out the personal data that the organisation holds about me?
Happen Films at your request, can confirm what information we hold about you and how it is processed. If Happen Films does hold personal data about you, you can request the following information:
– Identity and the contact details of the person or organisation that has determined how and why to process your data. In some cases, this will be a representative in the EU.
– Contact details of the data protection officer, where applicable.
– The purpose of the processing as well as the legal basis for processing.
– If the processing is based on the legitimate interests of Happen Films or a third party, information about those interests.
– The categories of personal data collected, stored and processed.
– Recipient(s) or categories of recipients that the data is/will be disclosed to.
– If we intend to transfer the personal data to a third country or international organisation, information about how we ensure this is done securely. The EU has approved sending personal data to some countries because they meet a minimum standard of data protection. In other cases, we will ensure there are specific measures in place to secure your information.
– How long the data will be stored.
– Details of your rights to correct, erase, restrict or object to such processing.
– Information about your right to withdraw consent at any time.
– How to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority.
– Whether the provision of personal data is a statutory or contractual requirement, or a requirement necessary to enter into a contract, as well as whether you are obliged to provide the personal data and the possible consequences of failing to provide such data.
– The source of personal data if it wasn’t collected directly from you.
– Any details and information of automated decision making, such as profiling, and any meaningful information about the logic involved, as well as the significance and expected consequences of such processing.
What forms of ID will I need to provide in order to access this?
Happen Films accepts the following forms of ID when information on your personal data is requested:
Passport, driving licence, birth certificate, utility bill (from last 3 months).
Contact our Data Protection Officer (DPO): at [email protected]
If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
If you have an account and you log in to this site, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
We use Google Analytics and Facebook Pixel to collect certain information about people who visit our website. This information allows us to better understand our audience and helps us with marketing.
If you have any questions feel free to get in touch at [email protected] 🙂